Want to test utility, but needs work for our needs.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:12 AM
Edited Mar 31, 2009 at 2:13 AM
I have a group of clinical researchers who wants to test the ability to use XML to markup manuscript content meeting specific published reporting standards (one example is the pediatric surgery clinical trials standard).  This would require showing the 20 or so items in the standard as a list (with explanations so the user could be reminded what they are tagging), and then allowing the user to mark text pertinent to a portion of the standard, thereby placing smart tags.

At the suggestion of Nigam Shah and Mark Musen at Stanford, I installed and tested the add-in for ontology recognition.  I was surprised how many different pieces of software I had to install:

MS dotnet framework 3.5 sp1 and updates,
MS Visual Studio Tools for MS Office System and sp1 for this (separately for some reason)
MS Word 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies
MS Word Add In for Ontology Recognition

This took about 25 minutes...would be a barrier to me running a formal test, since each tester would have to install all of this.

I installed just the human disease ontology, and used a test document of my own.  It looks like a decent start, but a fair bit of work would be needed to enable a test for what we would like to do.  Would anyone want to work with me to enable such a test?

Steve Bova, Johns Hopkins
Developer
Mar 31, 2009 at 8:42 AM
Hi Steve,

This sounds like an excellent application for the add-in.

I understand that installing all the bits of software is inconvenient and a barrier for many people. I think it is possible to create a more complete installer and the growing interest in the add-in will hopefully make this effort more desirable to the developers.

Supporting your standards list could easily be tested very soon if you could provide us with that list.

Let's continue to discuss this here or offline.

Best regards,
Lynn