Building Addin using the free version of Visual Studio (Visual C# 2008 Express Edition)

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I'm not sure the following statement from the main page description of this project is correct, "You can use the free version of Visual Studio (Visual C# 2008 Express Edition) to build the project".

I have downloaded the source and the Free C# 2008 Express Edition and it will not build the vdproj projects within the main solution.

Can anyone confirm this?   Not so nice if its true.   I can build some of the code, but nothing that produces the final addin.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Loaded Visio Studio Professional and was able to load the entire solution.  Thats better.   So I suspect you can not build this addin using only the Express Edition.

Currently however, I see the following errors in the build of the downloaded code:

- The type or namespace name 'Extensions' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Documents and Settings\kachri\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\UCSDBioLit-36614\UCSD_BioLit\SmartTagHandlers.cs 7 35 UCSD_BioLit

Does the download lack a reference or is this related to me using a different version of something referenced.  

My Reference area list UCSD_Biolit list Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.v9.0 .....  Does that lack the Extensions perhaps?

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM
Edited Mar 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I tried to load the projects with the Express edition of Visual Studio 2008 and had the same experience. Afterwards I tried to install the Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO), because I suspected that lacking this, I won't be able to compile the Add-in specific code under UCSD_Biolit. Sadly the installation "ended prematurely" for whatever reasons so I can't confirm this suspicion...

Maybe the Professional version together with the VSTO will be sufficient to compile the Add-In code successfully...

Please keep me updated if you find a way to build it properly.

Update: I installed the MS Visual Studio 2010 RC which included MS Office Developer Tools. After automatically converting the solution to make it compatible with VS 2010 the Add-In could be built and installed just fine .